When I was in college, my acting professor hung this quote on his bulletin board outside of his office. I was intrigued and he caught me reading it one day. He asked if I’d like a copy of it and next class he gave me a photo copy of the newspaper article from the LA Times.
I guess you’d have to know my acting teacher to know that it’s not ridiculous to think that perhaps he knew that this would be a quote that I would frequently revisit in my career for inspiration and guidance.
It is incredibly easy to make the choice to be a performer when you’re 21 and clearly have no way of understanding all the sacrifices that have to be made before you can even DREAM of making it in this business. My entire life, I have thought that as long as I had my craft I would be happy. I’m finally reaching a place in my life where I’m realizing that the normal life will not belong to me (and if it does, it will be a VERY long time). The fear is starting to set in that I may never have those things.
Right now, that’s what I am struggling with. Everyone my age is getting married and starting families. They own things… like houses and cars. That’s not the life that I chose to live… (like I said it was an easier decision back when I thought it would never be anything I desired), but I find some hope in David Ackert’s quote because I think the last line is the truth.
I guess at least I’ve grown this much… to think, the part I used to relate to most was the section regarding rejection. Ha… Two years of auditioning in New York will get you used to that.
So here it is- what is, in my opinion, one of the best quotes about acting.
"Actors are some of the most driven, courageous people on the face of the earth. They deal with more day-to-day rejection in one year than most people do in a lifetime.
Every day, actors face the financial challenge of living a freelance lifestyle, the disrespect of people who think they should get "real" jobs, and their own fear that they’ll never work again.
Every day, they have to ignore the possibility that the vision they have dedicated their lives to is a pipe dream. With every role, they stretch themselves, emotionally and physically, risking criticism and judgment. With every passing year, many of them watch as the other people their age achieve the predictable milestones of normal life-the car, the family, the house, the nest egg.
But they stay true to their dream, in spite of the sacrifices. Why? Because actors are willing to give their entire lives to a moment—to that line, that laugh, that gesture, or that interpretation that will stir the audience’s soul. Actors are beings who have tasted life’s nectar in that crystal moment when they poured out their creative spirit and touched another’s heart.
In that instant, they were as close to magic, God, and perfection as anyone could ever be. And in their own hearts, they know that to dedicate oneself to that moment is worth a thousand lifetimes."
~David Ackert
LA Times
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
very good blog hun :-) I'll read the rest when I get the chance. I enjoyed the quote very much... It holds a number of very honest observations about the life we've chosen. You really should keep this blog up!
august 22nd? this is unacceptable. please update. it's not like you don't have the time on annie days.
Post a Comment