This post is (unfortunately) identical to a post a made in March of 2008. One would think that I would have learned this lesson, but it seems that I like to be beat over the head with a sledge hammer in order to take things home.
Once again, I will point out that this has nothing to do with religion. Let’s look at this as a simple definition… (And if you have a better one, please share!)
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."-- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Now, I swear sometimes I have amnesia. My friend Marja has to remind me frequently of the things that people have done that do not fit the above definition. I enjoy ‘living in the moment’ to a flaw. Apparently, I have the magical power of making past behavior disappear completely before my very eyes!
I think it is my destiny to get a really “good hands” on lesson in what love really is, because I seem to have experienced almost everything it ISN’T. Most recently, I found that I had to eliminate some relationships because they were not making my life better. In fact, the opposite had started to occur. There comes a point where you wake up and realize that you care about someone more than they care about you, or even themselves (I think it’s one stop away from destination “sad, pathetic girlville”). My most recent escapades have taught me about rudeness and self-seeking behavior. When people are rude, it shows that they don’t care to take the time to treat you well and acknowledge your feelings. Self-seeking = selfish and usually is accompanied with rude behavior. It’s hard to selfishly put yourself first and be nice about it after all.
The sad thing about my experience is that no matter how much you communicate with people who behave this way, it will change nothing. Either they simply don’t view themselves as
self-seeking and rude or they just don’t care enough to treat you any differently.
Either way – delete.
And now for the true TRAGIC part about my latest endeavors – WHY AM I STILL LEARNING THIS LESSON? Why do I have a hard time eliminating people who make me feel bad and don’t care about me? It’s almost like the worse they treat me the more I want to help them. Someone get me a new therapist… or a rope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment