Friday, January 14, 2011

For The First Time... I Feel Wicked ;) - Week 2

Okay, I know you will all judge me and now I am officially a Musical Theatre dork - but this week I have decided to acknowledge Elphaba Thropp. I don't care if she is a fictional character. She has greatly affected my life. Elphie has restored many of my dreams in musical theatre (and it doesn't hurt that I can't wait to play her). I STILL get teary eyed when I hear that score (shout out to Stephen Schwartz) and I let my own demons get in the way of my dreams of playing her for a long time. But NOW things are different. When I work on the material for this role, I feel renewed, almost like a little hope light shines inside me.


We're talking about one of the hardest roles ever created... which is another reason why she has changed my life. I'm having to learn a GREAT deal about patience with myself while approaching this material. Of course, many "vampires" (see previous entry if you don't know what I'm talking about) come to visit when you decide that you are going to sing "Defying Gravity".


"Oh WHO is she?!?"

"AM I strong enough to really play this role?"

"This girl better belt her face if she thinks she is going to sing THIS in class!"


I'm sure you can imagine more.


But the truth is, every girl that has ever played (or will play) Elphaba has had to spend countless hours (months) preparing. It's not just about belting face or "vocal fireworks", (yes, that is the term Telsey uses) it's also about heart and I know that I have a huge one. I know that one day I will play the lady in green and I'll melt your face off when I give you a fierce "Defying Gravity" but I'll melt your heart in "I'm Not That Girl". But for now, I'm grateful to Elphie for all the challenges she has already made me face. Nailing every pitch perfect is part of it of course, but mostly having patience with myself and knowing that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are Tony award winning leading ladies.


At least I know I look good in green ;)

No comments: